In 1904 a number of prominent gentlemen in Whitehead mooted the idea that a golf course would be of great benefit to residents and visitors located at Blackhead. A meeting was held in the Victoria Café and the rest is history.
The provisional course was marked off on an ordnance map. The rules and bye laws were adopted from Malone, Royal Belfast and Larne Golf Clubs.
The cost to build the course was £114 and was constructed by George Morrow from Belfast. In 1908 the 2ndcourse was constructed in the Donegall area and then in 1935, moved to a 3rd location with a new clubhouse, this being the current Bentra course. In 1970 a decision was taken to relocate to a new location on Muldersleigh Hill which, after many changes to the course is the current home of WGC.
Ancient man once inhabited Muldersleigh Hill on which the present course is laid out. There are 8 historical sites on or around The Hill, 4 of which are on the lands occupied by the course. The 2nd green is on an ancient site called Rath-Cimbaeith, a hillfort built in the earlier part of the 1st Millennium. On the 3rd fairway is the former site of an ancient church and burial place. To the left of the 10th fairway was an old graveyard. Finally during construction of the original 4th green, 2 stone axe heads were uncovered and now form part of the Rath-Cimbaeith Trophy played for each year. A marker stone was carved out of a slab of stone from Cork (Rath-Cimbaeith royal site of King Nemed who died in Cork) and is still sited to the left of the 2nd green to this day